The Ibn Rushd Lectures take place at irregular intervals, yet steadily. They centre on the subject of Europe and the Arab World, viewed from the most different perspectives.
How does Europe see itself, what is the Arab World’s self-perception, what do we think of each other? And how much ‘other’ are these others, or is this ‘Other’ rather a construction which has more to do with one’s own self-perception than with who the other really is? And what exactly is the potential lying in the interacting of the two cultures, what could it be like, if they defined themselves through what they have in common rather than through seemingly insurmountable differences?
The Ibn Rushd Lectures want to open up new aspects and thoughts in their particular fields, on the Arab World, Europe’s view of it and vice versa, and the respective self-perception, which may ideally become a little less self-evident through the thought-provoking impulses given by our series of lectures.
The lecture series will migrate and take up residence at a suitable place according to the repective content of the lecture; duration of stay limited the duration of the lecture. The language of the lectures will also vary, mostly between the languages we use at the Ibn Rushd Fund, so Arabic, German, English, and French.
The lectures and talks will be made available if possible on our website after each event, as a youtube-video or as mp3.
- 2019: Gaza 2020 – Ibn Rushd Lecture with Ahmed Abu Artema
- 2019: Ibn Rushd Lecture with Mohamed Hashem
- 2019: Film Screening with the Palestinian Director Sahera Dirbas
- 2019: Sudan – History, Present and Perspectives
- 2018: In celebration of Mahmoud Darwish
- 2018: Dr. Hanan Ashrawi: Peace in Palestine – can this dream still come true?
- 2018: Salam Kawakibi: Old and New Elites in the Arab World
- 2018: Freedom? On the philosophy of liberation according to M Aziz Lahbabi
- 2018: Contemporary Arab Culture: From Description to Change (Linguistic and Sociologic Perspectives)
- 2017: Womans rights and the arabic governments – Gender (in)equality
- 2017: Arab Political Thought, the Syrian Revolution & the Question of Asylum
- 2017: Libya: People, country and the current situation
- 2016: Democracy and the right of the individuals
- 2013: My Makhzen and Me (Deutsch)
- 2012: Reading tour with Fadia Faqir (German)
- 2012: Ibn Rushd in His Era (German)
- 2012: Saidq Jalal Al-Azm: Secularism and the Question of Islam, Turkey as an example? (عربي)
- Ibn Rushd Lecture: Gaza 2020- Ahmed Abu Artemaالعربية DeutschSovereignty, the Subject and Life under Siege & what led him to initiate the Great Return March Dear friends of Freedom of Thought, in […]
- Ibn Rushd Lecture with Mohamed Hashemالعربية DeutschDear friends of freedom of thought, in the Arab World and elsewhere, We cordially invite you to an Ibn Rushd Lecture with the Egyptian writer […]
- Ibn Rushd Lecture: Out Of Place (Screening)العربية DeutschDear friends of freedom of thought, in the Arab World and elsewhere, Roots are at the base of everyone’s identity, and the need to […]
- Sudan – History, Present and Perspectivesالعربية DeutschDear friends of freedom of thought, in the Arab World and elsewhere, Sudan is a country many of us here in Germany know very […]
- In celebration of Mahmoud Darwishالعربية DeutschDear friends of freedom of thought, the next Ibn Rushd Lecture is a special one, complemented by recital and music, and rounded off with […]
- Ibn Rushd Lecture: Peace in Palestine – can this dream still come true?العربية Deutschwith Dr. Hanan Ashrawi Palestine is a name for a region that has undergone dramatic change. Once sounding like a divine promise, it now […]
- Old and New Elites in the Arab Worldالعربية Deutschwith Salam Kawakibi Elite – what does this term mean in relation to the Arab world in general, and to Syria in particular? How […]
- Freedom? On the philosophy of liberation according to M Aziz Lahbabiالعربية DeutschFreedom. Each language has its own special connotations vibrating along with this value, such as the famous French ‘liberté’ or the American ‘freedom’, and […]
- Contemporary Arab Culture From Description to Changeالعربية Deutsch (Linguistic and Sociologic Perspectives) Mohammed Chawich analyses what constitutes contemporary Arab culture – its major trends and possible linguistic and social perspectives – […]
- Womans rights and the arabic governments – Gender (in)equalityالعربية Deutsch
- Arab Political Thought, the Syrian Revolution & the Question of Asylumالعربية Deutschwith Dr. H. Darwish Ibn Rushd Lecture on Wednesday, 26th April, at 8:00pm in the Lettrétage Berlin. The Syrian philosopher Hosamedden Darwish spoke on Critical Ideas […]
- Libya – the Country, its People and the Current Situation – Dr. Aly Masednah El-Kothanyالعربية DeutschLibya Today Libya is a country that at present appears as a blank area on the medial map. Hardly any news make it over […]
- Ibn Rushd Lecture with Dr. Mohamed Adel Mtimet – The missing of the idividual in the Arab cultureالعربية Deutschthe unmentioned paradox when calling for democracy in the Arab world: On July 19th 2016 the Tunisian philosopher Mohamed Adel Mtimet held an Ibn […]
- Secularism and the question of Islam; Turkey as an Exampleالعربية DeutschBy Sadek Jalal Al-Azm: Sadek Jalal Al-Azm talking about the question of secularism and Islam. Talk organised by the Ibn Rushd Fund for Freedom […]